Mild Steel Tubing (1010)
The term "mild steel tubing" refers to tubing that has been
produced by the electric resistance welding (ERW) process. It is provided in the state in which it leaves the
welder, with only minimal downstream processing such as stress-relieving or annealing to meet particular customer
specifications. The lack of additional processing such as cold drawing makes as-welded tubing a cost-effective
product for many mechanical applications.
It is produced in a wide variety of sizes with close tolerances that allow the tubing to be used in mechanical
parts with little or no metal removal or machining. Some of the principal benefits you can expect from as-welded
tubing in mechanical applications:
- Uniformity - As-welded tubing has uniform wall thickness and concentricity, as well as uniform mechanical properties.
- Strength - Cold forming gives as-welded tubing a higher yield and tensile strength than the steel from which it is made.
- Less Processing - The close dimensional tolerances of as-welded tubing allows its use for mechanical parts with minimal downstream processing.
- Cost-Effectiveness - Because it undergoes less processing than other types of mechanical tubing, as-welded tubing can provide cost advantages for less-demanding applications.
- Wide Size Range - As-welded tubing is available in an exceptionally broad range of OD and wall thickness dimensions.
- Variety of Shapes - As-welded tubing is produced in round, square and rectangular shapes and in a variety of special shapes to meet the needs of individual applications.